Contenidos nodales: https://www.slideshare.net/secret/cP2jjxL7PxmToZ
Plan de trabajo: https://es.slideshare.net/secret/1KBFo7HWn7RCsf
IMPORTANT: There´s a mistake in the timetable. Wednesdays we’re meeting as from 10.45, our usual class time.
1er trimestre https://es.slideshare.net/secret/hEciW4gbAmjMoo
2do trimestre https://es.slideshare.net/secret/d8G5aPdA0A0V99
3er trimestre https://es.slideshare.net/secret/3Mc0kYpyXHxt95
Contenidos nodales: https://www.slideshare.net/secret/eWAINSCOGe8kUE
Plan de trabajo: https://www.slideshare.net/secret/N5zbVM9uWes7m9
If you’re sitting for one term, Read ONE NOVEL from the Lending Library. Once you’ve made your text choice, send an email to me. Not sending the informative email will count as not having done your work.
If you’re sitting for two terms, Read ONE NOVEL from the Lending Library and TWO SHORT STORIES from Anita Desai’s anthology Games at Twilight. You MUSTN’T choose the first story (i.e. “Games at Twilight”). Once you’ve made your text choices, send an email to me. Not sending the informative email will count as not having done your work.
If you’re sitting for three terms, Read TWO NOVELS from the Lending Library and ONESHORT STORY from Anita Desai’s anthology Games at Twilight. You MUSTN’T choose the first story (i.e. “Games at Twilight”). Once you’ve made your text choices, send an email to me. Not sending the informative email will count as not having done your work..
Contenidos nodales: https://www.slideshare.net/secret/kAcQTEHuvGhLK7
Plan de trabajo: https://www.slideshare.net/secret/BIycjLHqcWCQuT
1er trimestre https://es.slideshare.net/secret/BaxYocK0NKbwBU
2do trimestre https://es.slideshare.net/secret/HmriwQRve0nBh9
3er trimestre https://es.slideshare.net/secret/2cKbaUnyKUNo2J
This novel has taken us on a journey from Thul to Bombay, and from Bombay to Thul. In the middle of this journey we encountered different obstacles, reflected upon different circumstances, and felt different feelings.
Here are some essay questions that focus on some of the many aspects of analysis The Village by the Sea offers. Pick a mate, choose ONE of the following and write.
- The Village by the Sea is dense with cultural signifiers: rituals, festivals, climatic phenomena, food, clothes, religious practices and so on. All these make up Indian identity. To what extent can we say that Anita Desai’s novel is a portrayal of Indianness?
- The Village by the Sea is narrated in 3rd person. However, the narrative technique is focalized: in other words, it shows a very specific perspective – that of Indian childhood. Discuss how imagery, themes, linguistic choices and symbols contribute to building up this particular point of view.
- The Village by the Sea depicts Hari’s journey to Bombay and back home and his development as a character that grows from childhood into a certain maturity. How far would you say this novel is a rite-of-passage text?
- The role of men and women seems to be clear cut in Hindu families and communities. Discuss how being either female or male impacts on the identity and life of some of the characters in the novel The Village by the Sea.
- The Village by the Sea tackles some sociopolitical issues which affect plot development. Taking into account Biju’s business, the differences between villagers and city people, the setting of factories in Thul, the role of the Sahib, etc. describe the different points of view and discourses present in the novel and analyse how far social background has an effect upon the decisions characters make.
Voice your feelings, analyses and ideas, but always make sure you illustrate with clear examples and suitable quotations.
Due to a replanning and restructuring of lessons, I’m hereby sharing with you the key to the exercises which appear in the Booklet on pages 58 to 66 and which you have worked on as homework. Although we won’t have a chance to go through it all in class, do not hesitate to ask me should there be any doubts about the answer key as suggested by the book.
Remember it’s important that you go over this content as it’ll be included in the upcoming term exam.
All the best!
Answer Key Grammar Lab Module 13 CONNECTORS
A part of our syllabus is devoted to borrowing a book from the school library, reading it and working on it.
How do we work on a book we have read?
I here leave a file for you to find out about this! Please, read it thoroughly. And start thinking of what aspects of your chosen book you’ll deal with.
LENDING LIBRARY 2016
As your first lending library assignment is filming a BookTube, check out the links suggested in the file.
Also, visit the following online article and watch, at least, 3 BookTubes. Write a comment for each of them on your blogs.
Top 5 Booktubers
Booktube commenting activity: It MUST be posted by Wednesday, April 27th.
Booktube: Send a link to your final BookTube by Wednesday, May 18th.
Here is our analysis of the text in the first IGCSE mock of the year. Remember you must hand in ALL answers on April 20th.
You can find the photocopies of this paper in the Booklet (actually, it’s number 1 there).
How will you be assessed as regards your WRITING and SPEAKING skills?
Here go the criteria you can always check against when given feedback as regards your written and oral performance.
It will also help you take into account all those aspects you’re willing to improve on.
Hi Senior 2!
This is the scrapbook corresponding to the revision of our notes on essay writing.
Hope it proves useful for all your English subjects.
Dear Senior 4,
As promised here’s the file to the story I mentioned in class, “Poinsettias”, written by the same author as of Journey to Jo’burg.
Read it focusing on the issues we have been dealing with: Racism, Segregation, Apartheid, and whatever else the text sparks off in you.
We’ll discuss it next Wednesday, April 6th, so bring a print out to class with your notes and highlights.
Enjoy it! And reflect…
If you are wondering what the subject is about, what objectives lie ahead of us, what your responsibilities are, and so on, check out this presentation!
Should you have any doubts, comments, concerns, suggestions and ideas, do not hesitate to comment in this entry. I’m sure that what you have to say will benefit all of us!
Share this entry in your personal blogs so that you can quickly access all this information.
Oral & Writing presentation of SUBJECT 2016